Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Summer in my Studio

A few weeks ago I went looking for good photo references to pour over for new ideas, and since it was early February the summer photos seemed to call to me!  The reference photo for this painting was taken at the Thornbury harbour a number of years ago.  I did considerable tweaking on it, reducing the boat parts, masts, ropes, etc, to simple shapes, and came up with this painting I called "Labour of Love".   I'm not a sailor, but if I was, puttering on my own boat would be part of my February dreams!  This painting will be on display at the Southampton Gallery, where there are plenty of other sailors waiting for this moment too.  

For those who might be affected, my April show "All Things Bright and Beautiful" has a different date now for the reception.  In order to have all three of the artists there it has been changed to Saturday, April 18, 2:00 to 4:00.  Perhaps part of your visit to Thornbury that day will include a drive down to this beautiful harbour to see the sailing season at its very beginning.

"Labour of Love"
acrylic
24 X 18



No comments: